This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab doesn't detect DVD files on my new pc

I've used DVDab Decrypter and DVDfab Platinum (versions 3,4, and 5) successfully for quite a few years (under Windows XP).

However, I just built a new pc running Windows 7 64-bit, and used the same DVD writer I was using on my old machine (a Plextor PX 760A),
    but now DVDfab either doesn't read my drive at all, or crashes near the end of the rip.

DVDfab 4 (v4.1.0.2), 6 (v6.2.1.8), and the 7 beta (v7.0.1.2) all don't recognize a disc in the drive (The drive door pops out and a popup says to insert a disc. I put in a DVD that I've ripped before, but it just pops the door back open and gives the same message. I've tried many DVDs, many that I have ripped before)

DVDfab Decrypter 2.9.7.9 detects the DVD and will rip all but the bup files and ends with a crash.

(My DVDs still play fine in this drive after after putting it in my new machine. I have also burned many data DVDs since the swap.)

Anyone else have this problem, or know why I'm having it?

Thanks
    Scott
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, with 12 Gigs of RAM

Originally posted by scottyb View Post
    I've used DVDab Decrypter and DVDfab Platinum (versions 3,4, and 5) successfully for quite a few years (under Windows XP).

However, I just built a new pc running Windows 7 64-bit, and used the same DVD writer I was using on my old machine (a Plextor PX 760A),
    but now DVDfab either doesn't read my drive at all, or crashes near the end of the rip.

DVDfab 4 (v4.1.0.2), 6 (v6.2.1.8), and the 7 beta (v7.0.1.2) all don't recognize a disc in the drive (The drive door pops out and a popup says to insert a disc. I put in a DVD that I've ripped before, but it just pops the door back open and gives the same message. I've tried many DVDs, many that I have ripped before)

DVDfab Decrypter 2.9.7.9 detects the DVD and will rip all but the bup files and ends with a crash.

(My DVDs still play fine in this drive after after putting it in my new machine. I have also burned many data DVDs since the swap.)

Anyone else have this problem, or know why I'm having it?

Thanks
    Scott
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, with 12 Gigs of RAM

Did you install Fab "as administrator" and are you running it that way, too?

DC

Comment

Don't know. How do I install "as administrator". I set this machine up from scratch. Wouldn't I automatically be the administrator?

Comment

Don't know. How do I install "as administrator". I set this machine up from scratch. Wouldn't I automatically be the administrator?

That would depend on how you set up your account when you loaded Windows...

To run or install as administrator, just right click the program icon (or setup file to install), select 'Run as...' and choose 'Administrator' from the box, then proceed as normal.

DC

P.S. that's what I see In XP Pro... I don't think Win7 is too different from that...

Comment

OK DC, I did what you said...
          Right-clicked on the install file and installed the program as administrator,
          then right-clicked on the program shortcut and ran it as administrator.
          It still didn't detect a dvd in the drive.

Comment

OK DC, I did what you said...
            Right-clicked on the install file and installed the program as administrator,
            then right-clicked on the program shortcut and ran it as administrator.
            It still didn't detect a dvd in the drive.

OK...one step at a time...

Do you have any other copying or burning software on your system?

Do you have Imgburn installed?

If not, please do. When it's installed, please open it, go to 'Tools' > 'Driver Load Order', and copy and paste the info from that screen on your next post.

DC

Comment

===============================================
              Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0
              ===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
              Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
              Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
              Lower Class Filter: PxHlpa64
              Lower Class Filter: pfc
              Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM
              File Name:
              File Version:
              File Description:
              Product Name:
              Product Version:
              Company Name:
              Copyright:

Filter Name: PxHlpa64
              File Name:
              File Version:
              File Description:
              Product Name:
              Product Version:
              Company Name:
              Copyright:

Filter Name: pfc
              File Name: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
              File Version: 2, 5, 0, 204 [2.5.0.204]
              File Description: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
              Product Name: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
              Product Version: 2, 5, 0, 204 [2.5.0.204]
              Company Name: Padus, Inc.
              Copyright: (C) Padus, Inc. 1999-2001. All rights reserved.

Comment

Oh, and yeah, I did install a free little burning program called Express Burn (v4.31)
                I tried uninstalling it to see if was conflicting somehow... same result.

Other than that the only ripping/burning/encoding related software I have installed is AutoGK, which was on my old machine.
                Some other programs I installed on my new machine (that weren't on the old machine) are Adobe Media Encoder CS4, Adobe Device Central CS4, and Adobe Drive CS4 (all of which I haven't used yet). I kinda doubt they would have anything to do with this.

In ImgBurn, when I click on the Device tab, it shows my writer as a raid drive: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A 1.07 (RAID)
                I know nothing about raid, except its a way of making two identical drives act as one. I almost positive I didn't set anything up as raid. Wouldn't even know how.

By the way, thanks alot for your help DC.

On a side note:
                I like that ImgBurn (I love good free sofware!).
                I've been playing around with it, and think I'll just use this to burn my data CDs and DVDs, and to burn my ripped DVD files to make my backup DVDs.
                I used to use Nero to burn my discs, but got tired of all the extra crap that came with it. Any good software recommendations are appreciated.

Pretty much, all I was using in the past was:
                DVDfab for ripping my DVDs,
                Nero for burning the ripped DVD as a backup, and
                AutoGK for high quality encoding of the DVD files to xvid (for my portable movie player: COWON A2)

Comment

I suggest you make a backup of your registry or set a restore point and delete all those upper and lower class filters, then see if DVDFab can find the discs. The software that placed all the filters may not run without them.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Oh one other thing. I went to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts", and I am already the administrator.

Comment

If you are the only user of the computer, turn UAC off.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Turned off UAC... still doesn't detect DVD.

I did a restore of just windows 7, then installed DVDfab, and it worked fine (so it's not my drive or Window 7 64-bit).

Then restored a backup after making a bunch of tweaks (which I logged in a text file), then installed DVDfab, and it didn't work. So I gonna just gonna have to backtrack and narrow it down to which tweak or install messed me up.

A couple things I did was disabled Libraries using a registry script off the net (I can manage and keep track of where my files are, thank you very much Microsoft)

I got rid of "Homegroup" (following web site instructions)

I installed Ultimate Windows Tweaker and made the following tweaks:
                        Show drive letters before labels
                        Remove " - Shortcut" suffix for new shortcuts (although it didn't work)

So, like I said I'll have to backtrack and see what's screwing me up.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Remove this filter below from your computer

Code:
                          Filter Name: pfc
                          File Name: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
                          File Version: 2, 5, 0, 204 [2.5.0.204]
                          File Description: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
                          Product Name: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
                          Product Version: 2, 5, 0, 204 [2.5.0.204]
                          Company Name: Padus, Inc.
                          Copyright: (C) Padus, Inc. 1999-2001. All rights reserved.
                          DiscJuggler or other product that installed the filter may not work any more once the filter has been removed. To remove the filter you can download ImgBurn and in Tools-filter driver load order remove the filter

Comment

AGJ,

I removed that filter in ImgBurn (and rebooted)... still doesn't detect DVD

As I posted earlier, I did a restore of just Windows 7, then installed DVDfab, and it worked fine (so it's not my drive or Windows 7 64-bit).

I'm a perfectionist, so I'll probably just format my drive and start over...
                            installing DVDfab right after installing Windows 7,
                            and then one-by-one reinstall all my software, trying DVDfab after each install to see what causes the problem.

Bummer.
                            Last edited by scottyb; 03-14-2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Hi scottyb,

How do you have your bios configured for this burner?...IDE?, AHCI, RAID?
                              How's your burner cabled...directly to a SATA port on your motherboard? PCI/SATA? RAID card?

Last Oct, I finally moved from XP Pro (still love it, btw) and built a new Win 7 64-bit rig...no problems at all, but I did have some serious crap go on while trying to load ACHI drivers. Finally bagged it and went with the old reliable IDE drivers and couldn't be happier.

I've read about users on both sides with a new Win 7 install...trouble with ACHI and trouble with IDE.

What make and model motherboard?
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X