Can't get rid of black bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Can't get rid of black bars

I'm killing myself trying to get rid of the black bars on anything I rip using DVDCopy and DVDRipper. (version is 8.1.0.5)

First I rip the physical media to DVD9 using DVD Copy. I typically only copy main movie (I don't need the additional features). Then I open the ripped "disk" using DVD Ripper. Profile I'm using is "generic.avi.xvid.mp3". I'm using this profile because I'm streaming the rips to my XBox 360 using a home NAS (QNAP).

When I open the target and select "Edit", what I see is in the first attachment.
    DVDFab wants to put it into a 2.37 aspect ratio.
    If I go to video effect settings, (second attachment) it tries to keep it as a 2.37, even though it says that it's original aspect ratio is a 1.77. Regardless how I edit these settings (and those on the crop screen, which are set to "automatic" and "keep aspect ratio", I end up getting black bars encoded in the video.

Even if I manually change the resolution to a known 1.77 ratio (attachment 3), it still gives me black bars.

Can anyone give me a crash course on what I'm supposed to be changing to remove the black bars while maintaining a 16:9 ratio? Thanks.
    Attached Files

You need to have a good read how the videos are composed.

There is plenty of info on the Internet about aspect ratios.

Fab (and most other encoders) will not change the original aspect ratio of the video otherwise you end up with tall skinny people, etc.

It sounds like what you want to do is take a title composed at 2.35:1 and turn it into a full 16:9...

Not possible.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I admit my knowledge of how videos are composed is limited, however I don't know that you're understanding my issue. As I noted from the 2nd screenshot, Fab is showing the original aspect ratio as 1.77 . Is this not the same as 16:9 ? Perhaps I'm phrasing my question poorly. Why is Fab displaying the original aspect ratio as 16:9 but not allowing me to remove the black bars when ripping to another 16:9 ratio?

I've ripped approx 60 videos using Fab and most are very popular titles, so I'm sure I'm not the only one here experiencing the issue.....are most videos truly released on DVD in 2.35:1, or is everyone else just accepting the black bars?

Why does Fab show the original aspect ratio as being 1.77 ? Am I not reading this information correctly?
      Another confusing thing about FAB is that the Crop screen shows the output screen with no black bars.
      If there are so many videos that are encoded using 2.35:1, why do they display properly when played from a DVD on a 16:9 TV?
      I'm assuming there are quite a few people who rip 2.35:1 DVD's and stream them to a 16:9 TV, are the black bars just an accepted limitation, or is there another way to have them play properly on a 16:9 TV?
      Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2012, 01:14 AM. Reason: merge two post

Comment

Nitebreed
        This is a complex subject. You should understand the fact that unless your TV is 2.35:1, all movies that are that size when decoded will have black bars top and bottom, and some (mostly older titles) may have black bars on all 4 sides. There is nothing DVDFab can do about that short of letting you manually crop the sides of the picture to turn it into 1.78:1 to match the screen on the TV. Read up on letterboxing and pillarboxing on the internet and remember that DVDFab displays the "original" aspect ratio based on the DVD's IFO files, which is not necessarily the same as the aspect ratio of the displayed picture.

You can force DVD or Blu-ray Ripper to encode the video to any output size you want by using the Customized Size button on the Video Effect Settings page's Resize tab, entering the size and clicking Add. You can also use manual cropping (the Crop tab) by selecting it and then using the black bars slider to change the output as shown on the lower screen.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I guess my issue to this is the following
          I put the actual BD in my PS3 and if fills up the entire screen and looks good. No tall skinny stretched out people.
          I rip my BD to a h.264 format and the highest resolution I can get is 1920x800.
          If I use the resize option to add a custom size of full 1080p (1920x1080) all I get is black bars top and bottom
          I have played around with the crop and resize options but to no avail.
          Why the difference???
          Last edited by ragingmain; 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Go to Vdieo Effect settings to check the Crop settings.Fab will crop by default.
            Check the play settings in PS3 too.

Comment

When I crop I lose detail on the sides along with the black bars

Comment

You need to take heed of some of the advice that you have been given and thoroughly check out the settings on your equipment.

The PS3 most probably does an automatic stretch for disks while it does not for files.

Rip the disk to your HDD and check it out with MediaInfo.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  You need to take heed of some of the advice that you have been given and thoroughly check out the settings on your equipment.

The PS3 most probably does an automatic stretch for disks while it does not for files.

Rip the disk to your HDD and check it out with MediaInfo.
                  First. I did take heed of the advice given here.
                  Second I have already done as you suggested and it plays with black bars on my computer and PS3 AND using media info it gives a screen resolution of 1920x800 just as it is ripped.
                  When I play the actual disk in both Comp and PS3 it fills the entire screen because its apsect ratio is 16/9 or 1.778.

If you have any info that will help me solve this problem I look forward to your input.
                  Cheers
                  Last edited by ragingmain; 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                    You need to have a good read how the videos are composed.

There is plenty of info on the Internet about aspect ratios.

Fab (and most other encoders) will not change the original aspect ratio of the video otherwise you end up with tall skinny people, etc.

It sounds like what you want to do is take a title composed at 2.35:1 and turn it into a full 16:9...

Not possible.
                    Also I am not trying to change the original aspect ration of the the video. 16/9 is 1.778 aspect ratio. 1920x800 is 2.4. So DVD fab is indeed changing the original aspect ratio by chopping off 140 pixels worth of video top and bottom.

Comment

See the pic below,
                      It contains black bars in the source. Fab will crop automatically for decreasing the size of the output files. It is Not Fab adding the black bar. It is done by the player. Wish it helps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X