Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) doesn't utilize all available CPU threads

Hi!

This is my first post here so I'd like to say hello to all you guys and thank you for help presented on this forum so far. I'v been using DVDFab for about a year now, but upon the release of v9 (9.0.3.8 and 9.0.3.9b) I've noticed that the software makes use of only 8 CPU threads out of 12 available on my i7 3930K. Sure, you can set affinity manually in task manager but considering the fact that version 8.x.x.x always used the maximum thread number of 12, it is a bug in my opinion. The thread limiter works only as far as throttling down the thread number is concerned and doing so shows only 8 threads as a maximum. Anybody having similar experience?

Sincerely

Paul

Hi ppsych,
    What's the max CPU cores running for DVDFab in Common settings->General->General?
    Attached Files

Comment

Just 8, as in your example, despite 12 active threads. If you set the number of active cores less than 8, it actually uses that set (i.e. lower) number. However, there's no possibility to set higher number than 8 because DVDFab simply doesn't see them all.

Greetings

Paul

Comment

Get it, we'll check this issue. Thanks.

Comment

same issue here. 3930K only shows using 8 of the 12 threads in hardware monitor. and temps confirm that 2 cores are not being used to convert - much cooler

in the options it only goes up to 8

please help

Comment

Bump
            Need to solve this

Comment

A new release 9040 is out. Please give a try and feedback. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Terry!

Gave it a try and it's been fine so far: it can see all 12 threads and let me choose as many as I want. Conversion speed seems to have gotten up a bit, now it reaches 68fps (as tested on Mamma Mia BD). All in all - thank you very much!

Sincerely

Paul

Comment

Paul, I have an i7 3770 and I only have 8 cores but I can almost double your speed by using the integrated graphics GPU Intel Quick Sync. This attachment is for an MKV.ac3 at full resolution for my media player:
                  Attached Files
                  How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi!

I know that and I wish I could do it, too, but my rig doesn't feature Intel QuickSync It's an S2011 platform with no CPU-integrated graphics. The next thing I'm thinking of is to borrow a GeForce card from my friend and test CUDA performance. Currently I've got a Radeon HD7970 which is a good gaming GPU but supports GPGPU API that's vastly underutilized. People say that coding for OpenCL is complicated (no opinion on that - I'm not a programmer). Are there any chances that DVDFab would use any more efficient AMD acceleration in the future?

Greetings,

Paul

Comment

That's too bad Paul, I can just imagine that processor if it could use the GPU would smoke! I have an HD 7770 myself and it's useless insofar as encoding. CUDA is likely your best bet, from everything I can gather you need a 570 or higher NVIDIA card to make a difference, higher the better of course. More CUDA cores the better.

Albert Einstein

Comment

9.0.4.7 CPU Usage

when I try to Re-encode from a 50GB to 25GB it uses 90% and higher of CPU is that normal? 4 cores are selected...

It really puts a drain on the system using all the CPU. Thanks

Comment

Multitasking when reencoding is not recommended, to get it done in a reasonable time puts many demands on your system. What you are seeing is normal, even higher for the Ripper module, all 8 of mine go to 100% and stay there. You can try reducing the CPU demand with the controls in Settings->Conversion->Convert page, unchecking the "Enable Turbo CPU" box. I'm not sure if these apply only to Ripper in v9.
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I agree with signals all the cores working on your encode is a good thing, but you can select how many that DVDFab uses here:
                            Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Forgot about that in v9. Good catch.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X