Windows 10 HEVC CUDA Hardware Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Windows 10 HEVC CUDA Hardware Decoding

I have read several posts in this forum regarding the inability of DVDFab to use NVIDIA CUDA Hardware Decoding of HEVC encoded video files on Windows 10.

They all conclude that NVIDIA CUDA HEVC Decoding is not functional under Windows, due to a problem of Nvidia driver, so DVDFab is not to be blamed.

I decided to investigate the subject and my findings point elsewhere.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit edition, Core i7 3770 CPU, 16 GB RAM and Geforce GTX 960 Graphics card.

I downloaded a very big HEVC file from the website below:

I used Daum Potplayer (64 bit edition) to play it and simultaneously watched CPU and GPU use during playback using Process Hacker software. Additionally PotPlayer introduces a choice under the window of the video during playback to select HW or SW acceleration, which I was pressing to select accordingly.

It was very easy for me to detect huge differences on the CPU/GPU use between using HW and SW playback of the file, which definitely proved that NVIDIA CUDA HEVC Decoding on Windows 10 is very well functional.

If you have any kind of doubts, please follow procedure above and see for yourselves.

So from my point of view, there must be something wrong with DVDFab not being able to detect and use CUDA HEVC Decoding under Windows 10.

Yes, your are right.
    But ONLY GTX960 / GTX950, aka Maxwell Gen 2 - (GM206) device, which have native hardware ability, can decode on windows10 playform.
    Not GTX970/GTX980.
    And drivers 353.53 and below have problems decode videos big than 1080p, 361.43 is the best dirver so far.
    We already a beta version inside our company can use GTX960 on Windows 10.
    Our developer tried discuss with Nvidia support team to find way to support more device like Windows7, no good news so far.
    So we may add GM206 support on Windows 10 in near feture.

BTW, please also tell us if you find any more info about the decoder on Win 10 with 970/980.

Thanks!

Wilson
    Please post your logs the default location is:
    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have a 970 or 980 card myself, so that I can test it !

However, I might try to find some current info regarding HEVC decoding of these
      cards !

For some unknown reason to me NVIDIA produced incomplete cards (regarding HEVC codec) and I
      was very lucky to examine some reviews before buying GTX 960 !
      Last edited by nikchem; 01-20-2016, 05:59 AM.

Comment

It works on the GTX 980 with Windows 10 64bit for sure, I have another machine with GTX780Ti, that it doesnt work on though, is their a special driver to make it work?
        Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

I just bought a EVGA 960 for another system that I am building, so I can now test, the difference between DVXA and Cuda.

Comment

You can't check it in Fab in W10 but it does work and is marginally faster in 10x64:
            Attached Files
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              You can't check it in Fab in W10 but it does work and is marginally faster in 10x64:
              That cant be H265, it has to be H264 right.

Comment

It's an nvidia GTX 980 card I'm using, you'd know more about what it is than me? But if it is H.264 there is no appreciable difference in operating systems.

Albert Einstein

Comment

It's an nvidia GTX 980 card I'm using, you'd know more about what it is than me? But if it is H.264 there is no appreciable difference in operating systems.
                  I have in my labs, GTX980, GTX 960, AMD Matrix R290X, GTX780Ti. Operating systems have a big impact, W10, which I am using on all builds because in the near future it will be the OS of choice, its free, more stable and now Nvidia just has to make a driver that works with previous Geforce cards because thats what most people have. The majority of people are not like you and I and spend 500.00USD on a GPU. I find the HEVC H265 on Fab to be of excellent quality but you have to use the correct drivers and GPU, this is Nvidias fault not Fabs. Maxwell architecture is great but only is avialable in 750Ti and the 900Series.

Comment

The screen captures were h265, look at the fine print in the process area on the left.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

That's what led me to believe it was working on Windows 10x64 even though it can't be checked in the A/V settings of common settings. Both are identical.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Are you doing this with a 980GTX, what I saw in the screen captures? I have to figure out what you are doing that I am not because you are 10 times faster than I am.

Comment

I'm using a BR folder on the HDD to hurry things along. An i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz so nothing special. The GPU is doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm using a BR folder on the HDD to hurry things along. An i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz so nothing special. The GPU is doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting.
                            I have been doing it from disc, I have to see if that any consequence. Thank you, we both have 980GTX cards and I have a 5960X processor, so we at least be equal in the hardware catagory. Thank you for input.

Comment

As you can see here the CPU is only 35% or so involved in the process Chameleon:
                              Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X