Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried generic.mp4.h264.acc. That is ideally the format I want because it is very easy to tag and has easy compatibility with almost everything. However, even if I move the audio bitrate all the way up to 5.1 channels at 128kbps, the audio sounds very muffled. Not work the container's capabilities. Unless I am doing something wrong and the audio should be coming out better...

Comment

Muffled or low? You can try to increase the volume % right under the bitrate selection...

Let's just assume for a minute that you aren't doing anything wrong (it's not that difficult and sounds like you got a head on your shoulders) and that your hearing is acceptable and the audio SHOULD be coming in better:
      You shouldn't have to settle on a lesser format - let's see about getting this fixed...

Have you attempted the PS3 profile? This is basically MP4/H264+aac - this defaults to 96kb audio @ 150% volume... How about giving that a whirl? This file should play in WMP/VLC and on your PS3 if so desired and you should be able to tag as necessary...

Comment

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but I will expound on my theories a little.

I disagree with your appraisal of using AAC audio and compatability. I have been involved with development, importation and distribution of Network and Hard Disk Media Players for a long time, well over 8 years.

That said, the most compatible format I have found for ALL of these, PC's and other devices is using the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile using the AC-3/5.1 Audio track.

Another reason that I say audiocopy AC-3/5.1 profile is that only newer A/V amps can decode AAC and only some will accept AAC over optical.

On the bitrate, it is most definitely a personal preference and I always boost it when the title contains fast action scenes.

This is a very subjective topic and my good colleague, Complication and I have had many differences of opinion on this. Really it comes down to these factors:-

Target playing device
        Target display device
        Normal viewing distance from display device
        Your visual accuity
        Your expectations

The only real way to do it is do some tests yourself with different parameters on the same title and make a value judgement. Just use a chapter of a title that you know well and encode a chapter or two.

I was glad to be of assistance and hop that I helped get you going on creating your library.

Regards, Greg
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Muffled and low. Even after turning it up to original volume, the audio is still muffled, like treble had been taken out. I'll try out that profile after LOTR is done (about 25 minutes) and give you the results. My aim is to play this off of my computer with as-close-to-DVD quality as possible. I've can deal with 2500kbps for video, but it won't work with an AVI because it becomes too large. It works with MP4, as there is no size limit, but the audio is muffled.

As I said, I'll finish this import of AVI at 1000kbps video and audiocopy. I've been waiting an hour and a half already. When it's done, I'll give that profile a try.

Thanks!

Comment

Thank you Greg for your input on AAC. I was not aware that it wasn't so compatible. It just seems like it because everything I have plays it fine. And now that WMP in Windows 7 supports AAC natively, I've kinda moved my whole audio library.

And you are right - Thereis a LOT of trial and error in trying to find the profile that suits one best. I have done tons of trials the past few days, and it is driving me crazy! However, I know that once I find something that works, it will make everything fine after that.

I would gladly use the generic.avi.xvid/h264.audiocopy profile if I could tag them (even if they are more than 2GB). Do you know of any way to catalog video files and associate things to them like actors, directors, and the like? I wouldn't mind that, if I had to. Some sort of program that internally associated all of that information with the video, and when I open it form the catalog it would open in my player of choice (WMP12)...

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              On the bitrate, it is most definitely a personal preference and I always boost it when the title contains fast action scenes.

This is a very subjective topic and my good colleague, Complication and I have had many differences of opinion on this. Really it comes down to these factors:-

Target playing device
              Target display device
              Normal viewing distance from display device
              Your visual accuity
              Your expectations

The only real way to do it is do some tests yourself with different parameters on the same title and make a value judgement. Just use a chapter of a title that you know well and encode a chapter or two.
              This is sage-like advise - perhaps a knowledge base or FAQ doc is an order? I've seen this question a few times...

With that said (and I know your feelings on xvid well from reading through the forums) - I think the same could be applied to profile selection. For example, I find that xvid offers too low of quality for the file size as compared to WMV. In my case, I'll only be watching these files on my PC or Xbox360 - so compatibility of other formats isn't an issue and compatibility with the Xbox 360 is key.

The same would apply to Sean since he only wants to play on the PC and maybe on the PS3... (distant) 2nd to quality, tagging ability is the next highest important factor.

While we're on the topic - Sean, WMV supports tagging, but this might not be he best format for PS3 (even though it is supported - http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/...mv/r_id/102077)

Forgetting all of this for a second: mp4.h264.aac is a supported profile - it should work or be fixed assuming that we're not dealing with a hardware/os/disc issue (whatever the fix may be - config change, new build, etc)...

Personally, I would love to do mp4.h264.aac for my whole collection, but MS refuses to support h624 with 5.1 AAC audio. While xvid.audiocopy works well on the xbox 360, WMV is better all around (quality, file size, integration)...

Comment

My actual personal preference is H264 MKV Audiocopy but unfortunately not all of my players support this but my newest one connected to my Samsung 52" HD TV does, so I find now that for movies that I really, really like and regard as classics, I am reencoding them again to MKV, even though the XVid plays fine.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

KmR -
                  Windows 7 seems to have full support of mp4.h264.aac. While the ones I have imported sound crappy, they do play. They even sound bad when played through VLC, so I don't think that is the issue.

Anyway, thank you guys for all of your help. I'm still trying to figure out which way is best, but at least through all fo this I was able to get a MUCH better understanding as to what is going on with all of the containers and different formats. I feel a lot better about all of this. Thanks again for your help

Comment

Working...
                  X