No announcement yet.

Can NOT convert any Blu-ray's for iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try disabling CUDA for encoding, the video is a little smoother, at least it was on the tests I made with an iPad (using Avatar) on my system.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

how to disable CUDA

I looked in all the options and setting menus I could find including the "green checkmark" menu and I can't find a CUDA enable/disable setting. Where is it?

is it the "enable turbo CPU" option in the blu-ray ripper convert config?

Comment

in common settings it located in the A/V Codec part just change all selections to software

Comment

Main Movie

@brianpi

Select the 'Main Movie' copying option in DVDFab - BUT, be sure to preview before ripping, as I have had instances where the default selected main movie was an alternate of some kind. Most of the time, DVDFab gets it right and most of the time, there is only one obvious main movie.

Comment

Chillyk. Thanks for the info. So far previewing the 2 or 3 "copies" of the movies look the same. I will stick with the one DVDfab chooses. Just though one might be a 25hz and the other 30hz. I'll experiment more once I can get the basic DVD rip and Ipad convert modules of the program working to what is promised/advertized.

Comment

CUDA enable/Disable is in General, AV Codec config

Hi AGJ, ok I checked and all 4 settings (Decoder H.264, VC1 MPEG2 and Encoder H.264) were already set to Software.

I am not having much luck getting DVDfab to convert BD's to a usable Ipad file. Start Trek 2009 was the only BD of mine that worked first try and gave a nice result.

Ice Age 3, Madagascar and Wall-e gives me jittering video. By this I mean the video looks like its jumping backwards in short bursts as it plays.

Avatar, the program crashes into some sort of bug report form but does not close after I fill it out and press submit or done.

So I tryied the suggested work around of converting out to an MKV file then using the dvdfab video converter to convert it to Ipad. the mkv stage seems to work (except with AVATAR whicg dies at about 75%). The mkv to ipad convert either causes the program to close unexpectedly or produces the same jittery video. I've been running these conversions for several days now and really do not have a good Ipad version yet using DVDfab.

The only success i've had so far is DVDfab BD rip to mkv. Then I use either total video converter or Ojosoft to create a useable Ipad file. I've scanned through the forum in hopes to find answers and tried a few of the reccomendations (ensuring CUDO is off, doing One pass m4v conversion ect) with no breakthrough. My buddy 3,000km away by email tells me he's had no problems doing a BD to Ipad convert using DVDfab 8 in one step.

Am I missing something?

Ahh... I should mention that my video card does not allow me to play a BD disc using the player that came with the LG BD drive. But im assuming this should not stop me from doing BD rips and file conversions.. correct? Or do I need to upgrade my vidoe card?

BTW.. the fast replies by everyone and the generous sharing of info is really appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by brianpi View Post
                Ahh... I should mention that my video card does not allow me to play a BD disc using the player that came with the LG BD drive. But im assuming this should not stop me from doing BD rips and file conversions.. correct? Or do I need to upgrade my vidoe card?BTW.. the fast replies by everyone and the generous sharing of info is really appreciated!
                Hi brianpi
                You should always make sure that your video card and also your system has all current firmware and driver updates installed.
                What is your video card
                CBR929
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

@brianpi

If you have switched everything to software only, your video card won't matter for ripping.

However, for playback, your system matters a lot. You need a healthy system to playback HD videos, smoothly.

Are you saying that the video playback is jittery on the iPad itself, or when played back on your PC?

Comment

Chillyk..the m4v plays jittery on the iPad and on the pc (using Quicktime) with the BD reader and when I try viewing it on my laptop (with QuickTime or iTunes) as well but..they play fine on my WD TV Live.

CBR929..you raise a good point here but I figured as mentions that since I was only using the computer and software to do the conversions then video card compatibility should only be an issue with playing BD's. I ran DriverAgent on the BD reader PC and it shows the display adapters drivers are bad or need updating. Also it's a windows xp machine with a Gigabyte motherboard and there is a obis flash update for it but I can't get the reflash to work. So there is lots of opportunity todo updates. I was planning to update from xp to windows 7 sometime as the weather gets colder but I may need to focus on flash updates and the os update sooner then later.

The issue seems to be when I try to create an iPad m4v using dvdfab 8 on this one machine. I can rip to mkv or avi.xvid fine. If I let tunes convert the avi.xvip the file plays but I'm not happy with the amount of compression artifacts or pixelization in the resultant iPad file. Or if I use (removed) or (removed) to create an iPad file it works fine but iTunes always wants to convert it again for the iPad.

I have copied an mkv over to a smaller machine and have dvdfab converting it now to an iPad file on that pc to see if it's pc specific. It's in the process of the 12 Hr conversion now.

Hope this answers all questions asked. Let me know your thoughts folks. Thx

I have moved the mkv to a smaller pc and am trying
                    Last edited by AGJ; 09-10-2010, 03:57 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

@brianpi ... If the M4V playback on the iPad is jittery, then something is wrong with the M4V. Since it plays back well on the WD TV, you may be stretching the supported bitrate and/or resolution. That A4 chip has its limits; I have seen HD encodes I've done that playback well on the Apple TV that will exhibit short periods of macro-blocking on the iPad (i.e. the decoding is not keeping up).

Jittery video may be a result a of the same symptom - perhaps frame dropping is occurring.

It's hard for me (or anyone else) to diagnose this, but something to try would be to lower the target bitrate and/or resolution to ensure you are under the published supported video specs.

If you can't get this to work, you could follow my previous advice and follow the directions I posted there for combining DVDFab with other tools.

Good Luck!

Comment

Jittery video using Ipad convert.

Hi folks, ok..I got my (Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9) motherboard BIOS reflashed (from P6 to P12), upgraded my ATI X300 video card drivers to 8.593.100.0 and defragged my drives. Reran a DVDfab (beta 8.0.0.9) blu-Ray to iPad convert (1280 x 720 , 2500kps) and I still get the exact same jitter on the resultant iPad file.

Concurrently I ran also using the beta an mkv to iPad covert on a slower pc (took 24 hrs) and got the exact same jittery iPad video.

When I use (removed) I am able to push the iPad to 4000 kbs and get great video. I am pretty sure DVDfab 8 in its current form is not capable of reliable iPad m4v files. Maybe on a rare occasion. So dvdfab is only useful for BD to mkv or avi rips at the moment. Chillyk is correct when he says there is no full dvdfab iPad solution. The only reason I purchased dvdfab was it claims to create Blu-Ray to iPad conversions in one step. That is not the case at the moment. I trust dvdfab is working to solve this. This has chewed up a lot of time. So I had to purchase the (removed) to convert mkv to iPad m4v.

Corrections invited. Dvdfab folks.. Your thoughts?

Thanks folks for your help. I will keep monitoring this site and await dvdfabs solution.
                        Last edited by AGJ; 09-11-2010, 03:47 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

@brianpi

Just to be clear - my comments on a 'pure DVDFab solution' had more to do with the audio portion. That is, creating separate AAC and Dolby AC-3 audio tracks for both the Apple TV and the iPad.

For *just* the iPad, you should be able to manage this with DVDFab.

I really would like to get to the bottom of this, for my own use. So, would you please post the information requested in the sticky FAQ (i.e. help us help you) and see what we can do from there.

Since you are encoding at 2500 kbps @ 1280x720, you should be OK (I routinely upload 4500 kbps @ 1280x720 to both iPad and Apple TV without a problem, but everything is at ~24 fps). Is there any chance you are using a fixed, 30 fps setting? Are using anything other settings in your encoding profile that differs from the default? Are you first ripping to the hard drive and then encoding, or are you doing all of this on one step (i.e. Blu-Ray to M4V in one step)?

Comment

Hi Chillyk,

>> Is there any chance you are using a fixed, 30 fps setting?

I always make sure it's the same as the source. I check the advance view that shows both the source and output file fps.

>> Are you first ripping to the hard drive and then encoding, or are you doing all of this on one step (i.e. Blu-Ray to M4V in one step)?

I have tried it both ways and still get the same jittery video effect. I've ripped the BD to an mkv then converted the mkv to an m4v and I've tried the one step BD to iPad. One thing I have NOT tried is ripping the BD to a folder on the hard drive and then converting that to mv4.

>> So, would you please post the information requested in the sticky FAQ (i.e. help us help you) and see what we can do from there.

Of course. Sorry about that. I'll look for this 'sticky FAQ' and get that populated as required.

I'll need to research this CUDO thing that keeps coming up and see if this exists on my pc now and try using it. Or upgrading as needed. I'm assuming it refers to taking advantage of any video processing engines that may exist on the video card.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpi View Post
                              >> Are you first ripping to the hard drive and then encoding, or are you doing all of this on one step (i.e. Blu-Ray to M4V in one step)?

I have tried it both ways and still get the same jittery video effect. I've ripped the BD to an mkv then converted the mkv to an m4v and I've tried the one step BD to iPad. One thing I have NOT tried is ripping the BD to a folder on the hard drive and then converting that to mv4.
                              I'll need to research this CUDA thing that keeps coming up and see if this exists on my pc now and try using it. Or upgrading as needed. I'm assuming it refers to taking advantage of any video processing engines that may exist on the video card.
                              Thanks again.
                              brianpi
                              You are always supposed to rip to hard drive first and then convert from there, this may be your problem.
                              Also you have and ATI card which probably does not have CUDA only Nvidia Cards have Cuda.
                              Try ripping to hard drive first and then convert from there and post back
                              CBR929
                              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I just checked my local pc supplier and he has an Nvidia 240 CUDA capable video card. I'm going to give that a try. Also I was planning to upgrade this machine from XP to Windows 7 64 bit. Do yo think there would be any issues Running dvdfab working on windows 7? (wish there was a ubuntu Linux version of dvdfab)

Oops, just seeing your reply now...that was quick..yes I will try ripping to the hard drive first and report back. Thanks.
                                Last edited by brianpi; 09-10-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X