Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or maybe a bird told them that Fab had cracked its DRM. Redfox knew they were no longer alone, they packed their bags of money and went on vacation.

By the way, downloads or not, I would never pay a company with Bitcoin. It was already a risk to pay Streamfab. I don't know to what extent the European or US buyer protection applies.​

Comment

I don't think they will be back anytime soon, sadly. I got stuck, like many others, with Netflix, Amazon and Peacock not working in SF and went to the competition as well as many others here.
      The competition shut everything down. That's not a server or host issue, nor is the fact they changed their whois the same day everything went offline.
      Now, whether it was because money issues and them running with what they got, knowing they can't support credit cards.
      Or because they got a cease and desist notice.

In all reality that was the point of cryptocurrency, when started, it was because banks that issue the credit cards won't support certain things or certain locations.
      But maybe not as many as thought use crypto, or those who do had no interest in buying the program.
      I had to learn crypto a few years ago, so to buy stuff that credit cards block, and also many places that take it offer anywhere from a 10% to 50% discount to people to use it.
      What SF does to keep credit cards is not fully known. I know places who did and still do manage to fly under the radar to take credit cards, and they get approved.
      There are even places that take credit card but try to buy from them, as in the US the CC companies block it with no explanation.

I was not even going to comment on the overall situation as it's all guessing, but the sinking feeling in my gut waving by by to the money spent on the crypto spent on AS.
      but at same time I got many things from Amazon and Peacock in full glory viewing and sound.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

i'd say this is 98 / 99% accurate because if it was server/ technical issue the site would be back up & running by now
        but since nothing is working, i'd say they were forced to close their doors.
        That just means like last time they will be back somewhere else with a new name and no more lifetime license. The software they have is worth a ton of money, unless of course they sold it to fab and also the devs were inherited by fab as a company in which case we will still be ok.

Comment

No longer selling lifetime licenses sure made it appear that they wanted a more steady income stream. Who can blame them? I mean, keeping these downloaders working is a constant effort, even non-DRM related changes to a streaming site impacts the downloader app. DRM changes hit even harder. They need money so they can keep paying developers to work on the app.

I'm sure only accepting Bitcoin put a dent in RF's income. I saw several people on Reddit wanting to buy Anystream but not wanting to deal with Bitcoin.

So was it a money issue? Was lack of sales and consistent income the reason for them to shut down? I don't know. But if that was the case, knowing the Slysoft past (and getting burned by it), the honorable thing to do would have been to stop any new sales and give the existing customers warning that they couldn't afford to continue before shutting down.

The day before their site went down, their forum mods were still interacting with members, talking about fixes, collecting bug information, etc. So I find it hard to believe the shutdown was planned or otherwise in their control.

We may never know.

I had that lifetime license for 2 years. So I got my monies worth. I feel bad for those that purchased recently and didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
            No longer selling lifetime licenses sure made it appear that they wanted a more steady income stream. Who can blame them? I mean, keeping these downloaders working is a constant effort, even non-DRM related changes to a streaming site impacts the downloader app. DRM changes hit even harder. They need money so they can keep paying developers to work on the app.

I'm sure only accepting Bitcoin put a dent in RF's income. I saw several people on Reddit wanting to buy Anystream but not wanting to deal with Bitcoin.

So was it a money issue? Was lack of sales and consistent income the reason for them to shut down? I don't know. But if that was the case, knowing the Slysoft past (and getting burned by it), the honorable thing to do would have been to stop any new sales and give the existing customers warning that they couldn't afford to continue before shutting down.

The day before their site went down, their forum mods were still interacting with members, talking about fixes, collecting bug information, etc. So I find it hard to believe the shutdown was planned or otherwise in their control.

We may never know.

I had that lifetime license for 2 years. So I got my monies worth. I feel bad for those that purchased recently and didn't.
            Had my lifetime license for longer then that so my only gripe is not being able to grab things when i want them moving forward. If fab was a solid product i wouldnt be worried, but the fact that it took them so long to crack drm if in fact they did, leaves me to believe that in a years time we will be in the same boat unless fox comes back as something else or they did in fact merge in which case both teams are just now working on the same product which would also be an ok situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

I don't think it is obvious at all. A good many modules that SF say they are working on restoring weren't ever a part of AS's working streamers. As one example, AS never made any attempt at downloading DRM MPD streams.
              Right but drm mpd isnt working according to the disclaimer, I hoe youre right and fab actually did figure out how to crack this on their own, but it seems unlikely since they were converting everything over to recode instead of download.

Comment

Originally posted by slottedpig View Post

Right but drm mpd isnt working according to the disclaimer, I hoe youre right and fab actually did figure out how to crack this on their own, but it seems unlikely since they were converting everything over to recode instead of download.
                On the second day after Anystream Plus was shut down, streamfab announced that it had solved Amazon's DRM problem. It was obvious that streamfab was a DRM solution purchased from Anystream Plus!

Comment

Won't there be a lot of people standing with their hats in their hands when the truth finally comes out.

I'd love to see someone leverage "buyer protection" for software that circumvents DRM. I'd want that on video!

Comment

This vBulletin is as error prone as SF. Nearly every time I post I get some kind of error. Have SF devs been tinkering with the vBulletin code? In addition myself and several others are no longer getting email notifications of new posts, likes etc. to the threads we are subscribed to.

Comment

Originally posted by NewMelle View Post
                      This vBulletin is as error prone as SF. Nearly every time I post I get some kind of error. Have SF devs been tinkering with the vBulletin code? In addition myself and several others are no longer getting email notifications of new posts, likes etc. to the threads we are subscribed to.
                      You control that. Double-check your settings at https://forum.dvdfab.cn/settings/notifications. Last that I had Administrator access, email notifications were still available to all. The user just had to choose to turn it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

June 6th Redfox goes down, June 7th Fab has an Amazon solution. Very suspect to me.
                        You forgot though that Peacock still remains broken.

When you go to links of threads in their forum you may have had saved, it still appears to go to the forum, just gives a fake error that the site doesn't exist.
                        I thought for sure they solved their problems when they went to the BZ domain. This could just be another reset in their income.
                        Last edited by MrGrackle; 06-10-2024, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

June 6th Redfox goes down, June 7th Fab has an Amazon solution. Very suspect to me.
                          So I just went into Peacock via SF and I did not have to login like I have had to do every single time.

Comment

Peacock works for me, at least for the only thing on there I actually care about....Resident Alien. I was finally able to grab the rest of Season 3 in 1080p with the newest update.

Comment

I don't think it is obvious at all. A good many modules that SF say they are working on restoring weren't ever a part of AS's working streamers. As one example, AS never made any attempt at downloading DRM MPD streams.
                              No but it's clearly no coincidence that within 24 hours of AS vanishing SF have Amazon working for the first time in nearly 6 months.
                              The non AS modules are irrelevant here. SF have been slowly getting those up and running but Amazon was the obvious one that needed sorting.
                              For whatever reason AS was taken down so they made a quick buck selling the Amazon solution to SF. I don't blame them at all and even those of us who had both benefited as recent Amazon content downloads were laughably slow with SF

Comment

You control that. Double-check your settings at https://forum.dvdfab.cn/settings/notifications. Last that I had Administrator access, email notifications were still available to all. The user just had to choose to turn it on.
                                Already checked when it first started and it's all on. I've heard from two other members who said the same thing. The domain I use for email is not set up to discard spam but just label it and send it on to me so this isn't it either.

As far as the RF disappearance is concerned about the only conspiracy theory I'd be slightly inclined to subscribe to is Fab had something to do with the demise of RF. I would NOT put it past them. It's a well known fact they are not above lying and stealing.

Comment

Working...
                                X