Optimum ripping/encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UHD Ripper Optimum ripping/encoding

Can some one explain to me at which point a rip loses picture quality? I have been ripping all my dvd/blurays at a custom level with the slider at .5. On the UHD side I have it set to .25. So to get the best picture on dvd, bluray and UHD where do I actually lose picture quality using the slider? I want the best I can get in the smallest file size even if its not really "small". I have room, I am just reconsidering reripping everything again to save on some space.

All slider positions have the same number of pixels, what you loose is the bitrate that makes the images move smoothly. This is more noticeable on some discs than others (lots of fast motion or horizontal pans make it more so). And it is also subjective, what may annoy some users does not make a difference to others. I think the best advice is to try some from the same disc at different settings and also some different discs to see what suits you.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ok. For clarification, The bluray rips are average of 20-50 gigs depending on the movie with the slider at .5. On the other hand the UHD movies at .5 are showing 75-100 gigs depending on the movie. Are those numbers correct as it seems they are larger than the movie file on the uhd disc? So in that case they are larger than on the disc, where do you suggest I place the slider? independently per movie based on the original file size?

Comment

Nothing here either?

Comment

hi Blumamba,

For Lossless ripper, use passthrough mkv profile for both BD and UHD.

For BD compress, the leatest version of DVDFab now recommand high bitrate, for hdd is very cheap now. H264.MKV H264.MP4 profile is the choice.
          If your want better quality crf in advance setting is a good choice. It will adjust video according the complex of frame.
          And there is two pass, but need run two time if use soft encode. If use Nvidia NVENC(cuda) two pass, hardware chip do two time directly.

For UHD compress, as Hevc/ h265 will get similay video quality for half h264 bitrate, that's the slider diff reason.
          Hevc.10bit.HDR.mkv /Hevc.10bit.HDR.mp4 profile is the choice.

yours
          Wilson

Please post your logs the default location is:
          For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
          For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
          If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for your response. Happy Holidays!

Comment

Working...
            X