This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing source DVD

DVDFab is not reading DVD's in the source drive. The DVD has no problem being played by PowerDVD DX or by VLC media player. I tried starting to play the DVD and then loading DVDFab, but it still failed to detect the media.

Next I tried copying the DVD folder. That failed with the error

Failed to Open D:\
    Please check if it's playable
    The same error appears even when the DVD is playing.

In a separate window, it appears to be loading and analyzing the DVD, but the progress bar just continues forever without stopping in that window.

I tried copying the folder from the DVD to the desktop and then dropping it into DVDFab and that worked. It just cannot read from the drive.

I tried updating to the latest beta (8.1.0.6qt) with the same result.

Here is a log file showing what happens:

Code:
    2011-07-20 21:22:44	----        	******************** Log session stop  20-Jul 21:22:44.299 PID 564********************
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G DW20 [D] (Ide)
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	Using Advanced SPTI interface
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	System default language : English (United States)
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	User default language   : English (United States)
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	DLL Version : 4.0.20.488
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	DLL : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8 Qt\vso_hwe.dll
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	Version : 8, 1, 0, 6
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	ExeName : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8 Qt\DVDFab.exe
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	Info        	OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (Build 7600: Service Pack 1)
    2011-07-20 21:21:29	----        	******************** Log session start 20-Jul 21:21:29.207 PID 564********************
    I tried disabling path player, but that did not help. I'm not sure what to try next.

Hi Tax Man,

You may want to get some old versions of DVDFab at to give version 8.0.8.5 a try.

Sincerely,
    --
    Sunny

Comment

Thanks. At your suggestion, I removed 8.1.0.6 beta and installed 8.0.8.5 but it won't read DVD's from the drive either. The difference is that when I try to drag and drop from the DVD into DVDFab there is no longer any error about not being playable. Also instead of the analysis progress bar going back and forth forever, the progress bar starts but stops and exits after about half a second. Dragging a copy of the folder from the desktop works fine as before. DVD's play fine in the drive. I also tried to run DVDFab while the disk is playing as suggested in the FAQ with the same results.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Please post the internal log, the one you posted is the burn log. Please also install ImgBurn if you do not already have it (it is free) and under Tools, select "Filter driver load order" and click the "Copy to clipboard" button. Paste the results into a post here. This type of problem is often related to other software that is not releasing control of the drive to the operating system.

You may also try this: in DVDFab Common Settings, select DVD/Blu-ray->Read and set the I/O control to SPTI instead of Auto. If it is already set to SPTI, change the setting to ASPI and try reading the discs again. Also UNcheck the box in Cache control to disable the read ahead cache.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          Please post the internal log, the one you posted is the burn log.
          Sorry about that. I think this is the right log. I'm still working with an older version as suggested by sunny.

Code:
          DVDFab 8.0.8.5 (2011/07/22  09:29:20)

0m 00.57s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
           0m 27.76s: css attach D:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
           0m 27.76s: css attach D:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
          Please also install ImgBurn if you do not already have it (it is free) and under Tools, select "Filter driver load order" and click the "Copy to clipboard" button. Paste the results into a post here. This type of problem is often related to other software that is not releasing control of the drive to the operating system.
          Here is the Filter driver load order from ImgBurn:

Code:
          ===============================================
          Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.5.0

Upper Device Filter:  [None Found]
           Upper Class Filter:  [None Found]
                       Device:  CD/DVD-ROM Device
           Lower Class Filter:  [None Found]
          Lower Device Filter:  [None Found]
          You may also try this: in DVDFab Common Settings, select DVD/Blu-ray->Read and set the I/O control to SPTI instead of Auto. If it is already set to SPTI, change the setting to ASPI and try reading the discs again. Also UNcheck the box in Cache control to disable the read ahead cache.
          Thanks. I tried all that with no change.

Comment

Trying 8.1.0.7 hoping it would fix the problem. No change. Works on my other desktop, but not this one.

Any ideas?

Comment

That is a puzzling problem. Make sure you installed DVDFab from an administrator account. If your machine has AHCI, make sure the driver is up-to-date. I would also suggest turning off autoplay in Windows, at least for DVDs, if not all optical drive sources (I have it disabled completely). The most common cause of difficulties like this is other drag and drop disc burning software or an on-the-fly decrypter. Did ImgBurn recognize your optical drive? Normally, it will show the drive as a target in Write mode.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks. DVDFab was installed from an administrative account each time. AHCI does not appear to be available on this Dell Optiplex 360. The drives are SATA.

I disabled autoplay for all media in Control Panel by setting each item to "Take No Action." Made no difference.

ImgBurn sees the drive with no problem:
                Code:
                I 22:47:41 ImgBurn Version 2.5.5.0 started!
                I 22:47:41 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition (6.1, Build 7600 : Service Pack 1)
                I 22:47:41 Total Physical Memory: 4,117,472 KB  -  Available: 2,493,312 KB
                I 22:47:41 Initialising SPTI...
                I 22:47:41 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
                I 22:47:41 -> Drive 1 - Info: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G DW20 (D:) (ATA)
                I 22:47:41 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
                The frustrating part is that every piece of software I have that can read/play a DVD, can read the DVD except DVDFab. Does DVDFab have a different way of detecting media than other programs?

Comment

I think I see what's happening.

I think I see what's happening.

With no disk in the drive, I load up Common Settings | Info and it shows no disk in the drive.

Code:
                  Info for drive [D:\] (DVDFab 8.1.0.7)
                  Vendor: TSSTcorp
                  Product: DVD+-RW TS-H653G
                  Revision: DW20
                  Vendor specific: 0927
                  Drive region control: RPC II
                  Drive region: 1
                  User changes left: 4
                  Vendor resets left: 4
                  Supports Hybrid discs: NO

No disc in drive.
                  When I insert a DVD, the drive spins up; the DVD can be played, etc. But what shows in the Info tab is this:

Code:
                  Info for drive [D:\] (DVDFab 8.1.0.7)

Disc media: Unknown
                  Disc type: Unknown
                  Disc is not opened.
                  So it's now clear that DVDFab is able to detect that there is media in the drive, it just doesn't recognize what type of media it is, even while the DVD is playing.

Perhaps with that information a fix is it hand?

Thanks.

Comment

I tried 8.1.0.9 beta with no change. Is there any progress on this issue?

Thanks.

Comment

Updated the the latest release 8.1.1.2 and the issue remains unresolved.

Are there any plans to address this issue in future releases?

Win7 32bit. 4GB ram.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Tax Man,

The difference is that when I try to drag and drop from the DVD into DVDFab there is no longer any error about not being playable. Also instead of the analysis progress bar going back and forth forever, the progress bar starts but stops and exits after about half a second. Dragging a copy of the folder from the desktop works fine as before.
                        Please tell us how did you "drag and drop from the DVD into DVDFab "? Note: It is a wrong way to drag and drop DVD from the windows expolre into DVDFab.

Please always open DVDFab first, then insert DVD disc into your DVD drive tray, wait for one moment, DVDFab will recognize the inserted disc and start to read.

Comment

Tax Man
                          To help the support staff narrow the problem, please try the following: in Common Settings->DVD/Blu-ray->Read, please check your setting for I/O control, at the top of the page. If it is set to "auto", try selecting ASPI, then SPTI to see if the results change. Also, another common cause for the symptoms that you report is other reading/burning software on the computer that blocks DVDFab's access to the drive at the level that is required. You can supply that information by opening ImgBurn and under "Tools", select "Filter driver load order." In the window that opens, click the "copy to clipboard" button and paste the results into a post.

Comment

@ sunny,
                            When DVDFab failed to recognize the type of media, I tried dragging the VIDEO_TS folder into the "DVD Copy Main Movie" window. When that failed, I dragged the folder from the DVD onto the desktop and then dragged it from the desktop into the "DVD Copy Main Movie" window and it worked fine.

When I open DVDFab first and insert a DVD, I get the following in the "information window."

Code:
                            Info for drive [D:\] (DVDFab 8.1.1.2)

Disc media: Unknown
                            Disc type: Unknown
                            Disc is not opened.
                            Note the last three items. It recognizes that a disk has been inserted, but does not recognize what kind of media it is. The actual media is a standard DVD that plays fine.

@signals,

I have tried setting ASPI and also tried setting SPTI as well as disabling cache as you suggested earlier in this thread. Neither setting makes any difference.

There are no other filter drivers loaded on this computer. I posted this earlier, but here are my results from ImgBurn taken just now. No change from before.

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.5.0

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
                            Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
                            Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
                            Lower Class Filter: [None Found]
                            Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

To summarize, the drive works fine and plays DVDs fine. The only program that has difficulty recognizing the media is DVDFab and only on this Win7 32bit desktop. On another computer it works fine. The problem exists on all versions of DVDFab I have tried in both the v7 and v8 series.

Comment

If it's just that particular computer then you have some other software that's interfering with Fab. How are you dragging and dropping the dvd folder from windows explorer to your desktop? Something is missing here indeed...Fab alone won't allow that, is passkey also installed on that rig?

Comment

Working...
                              X