Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eddie13 View Post
    @Frankster91

You say to "Make sure you have your Reg key", but I have no key. I'm using the free trial version. Does that make any difference?

Where did you find the MD5 checksums for the download(s)? I looked but couldn't find them.
    If your using the free/trial then you dont have a key to worry about.

The MD5 is near the top in the forum under latest releases. Click on the 9106 thread and you will see it in red letters.

This product's MD5 is - 4C489E0444D47B57EB718D5E10B0F21E

Comment

Thanks again. that's the same MD5 as I got for 9106. So I'm starting the detailed cleanup procedure you recommended now... might take quite awhile...(?)...

I'll leave the latest .NET and Silverlight installations til last. I don't really want them because I know they can bog down an XP computer. Same for IE. I use Firefox and prefer to keep IE6 rather than updating it. But it's possible, I suppose, that there's something in the IE8 update that DVDFab needs(?). Computers are complicated.

Comment

Thanks again. that's the same MD5 as I got for 9106. So I'm starting the detailed cleanup procedure you recommended now... might take quite awhile...(?)...

I'll leave the latest .NET and Silverlight installations til last. I don't really want them because I know they can bog down an XP computer. Same for IE. I use Firefox and prefer to keep IE6 rather than updating it. But it's possible, I suppose, that there's something in the IE8 update that DVDFab needs(?). Computers are complicated.
        Did you verify the MD5 with a utility to make sure the download was correct?

I kinda get the feeling that you don't update Windows very much, you are running service pack 3 right? I don't mean no harm but a lot of programs won't run or run correctly without it.

Nothing wrong with the .net updates except for the .net4 profiles update.

Silverlight is not a must have installation but it has never caused me any issues.

I don't recommend staying with IE6 even though IE8 is old, they still release security updates for it for now at least. It won't hurt to update to it even though you use firefox. I have IE8, Firefox and Chrome on this old box but use Chrome and Firefox mainly on it. I really just use my XP boxes for ripping and storing my movies on.

Computers, at times, can be irritating but I still love building them and fixing them.
        Last edited by Frankster91; 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Problem: I can't uninstall the NVIDIA drivers. They keep coming back, although they don't appear in the Add or Remove Programs list anymore. I also tried uninstalling them via Device Manager, same thing. I also tried removing them from msconfig startup, but they come back.

After a reboot, they are obviously uninstalled for a short while based on the appearance of the screen, everything is larger than normal. But then within a minute or two, they reinstall automatically. It then says I must reboot the computer to complete the installation, and their little green icon reappears in systray..

So how do I uninstall the Nvidia drivers?

Comment

Problem: I can't uninstall the NVIDIA drivers. They keep coming back, although they don't appear in the Add or Remove Programs list anymore. I also tried uninstalling them via Device Manager, same thing. I also tried removing them from msconfig startup, but they come back.

After a reboot, they are obviously uninstalled for a short while based on the appearance of the screen, everything is larger than normal. But then within a minute or two, they reinstall automatically. It then says I must reboot the computer to complete the installation, and their little green icon reappears in systray..

So how do I uninstall the Nvidia drivers?
            Are you an Administrator? You can also try reinstalling it and tell it to do a clean install from the Nvidia installer.

Comment

you may have to uninstall the driver but not reboot, then run the new installer. It may be installing the ones from Microsoft update, unplug your internet or turn off your wireless adapter. You can also run CCleaner and check the box to remove Nvidia driver backup files. Try removing them from Safe mode. Just a thought.
              Last edited by Frankster91; 11-15-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

How do I uninstall my NVIDIA display drivers?

Driver files should always be uninstalled before updating to newer drivers or when removing an older NVIDIA card and replacing it with a newer card. To uninstall your current NVIDIA Display Drivers from your system, follow these steps:

1) Go into your Control Panel
                2) Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon
                3) Select the NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers from the list of programs.
                4) Click Change/Remove or Add/Remove button.
                5) Confirm with Windows that you wish to continue with the uninstall

Note: A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved
                nView profiles.
                If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved
                profiles will be deleted.
                If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files
                are saved in the Windows\nView directory on your hard disk. If you take advantage of the nView profiles, you may wish to keep your custom nView profiles.

Once the driver files have uninstalled, Windows will request that you restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.

Comment

I've spent all this time trying to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, like you say, but it doesn't work that way...

Like I said, it does no good to uninstall the Nvidia drivers because they reinstall automatically, apparently a plug-n-play process, within a few minutes. The detected new hardware wizard icon pops up in systray then it does its thing, no way to stop it. Then it wants the computer to be rebooted to complete the process.

However I was able to do a reinstall of the latest recommended drivers using the custom "clean" install option with antivirus turned off. That's the best I can do, apparently, in lieu of some way to disable the plug-n-play process temporarily(?). It would be too much trouble to remove the Nvidia board from the computer physically just for this purpose.

That still leaves me with an unknown, because I don't understand the terminology. You say to also uninstall the "Nvidia System tool" but there's nothing with that title, insofar as I'm aware. Here's a graphic of the 3 Nvidia items in my Add or Remove Programs list. Is one of them the "Nvidia System tool"?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I also have Windows XP x64 running in a virtual machine. I fired it up this morning and DVDFab 9.1.0.6 installed and ran without issue.

You might want to image your system and try a clean install.

Comment

What graphics are you using Marty? Your Intel graphics or the card?
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

A clean reinstall of the op system isn't needed at this point. Everything's working OK on this XP box except DVDFab past the 9063 version. Whatever it is, I'm not unique, because others have reported the same problem. It seems that some people can run it OK, but some can't, root cause still a mystery...

I went through the cleanup process outlined above as well as possible but got the same exception error. The only difference was that after installing DVDFab9106 I got to the reboot prompt this time. But the software won't run, just produces the exception error.

Now the only thing remaining to try is install .NET 2.0+ and Silverlight, probably .NET first. I don't really want it but there seems no other way to rule it out as a necessity. Time will tell, I guess. It is taking a *lot* of time to try to troubleshoot this...

Comment

I'm of the opinion that it is the graphics card. If you have a lame one like mine in that laptop it will require Windows 7 and DirectX 11, if you have a good modern graphics card that will support the API used to program the GUI in XP then you are good to go.
                          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

I only ever use the Intel HD graphics, my GeForce was sold on eBay months ago. The virtual machine just has standard SVGA graphics. Can't get much more lowly than that!

Comment

Eddie13; Does your XP box have built-in graphics too or just the NVidia card?

Comment

The XP box came with video graphics sharing the RAM memory, no separate video card. Somebody talked me into getting this Nvidia card a couple of years ago to try to speedup Firefox. The improvement was only slight, if any, and I was never sold on it. Firefox is still slow anyway. Maybe I'll jerk it out...(?)...but if DVDFab for XP was compiled only for recent high end graphics, I'm sunk anyway. This thing is 10 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X