X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU DVDFab CUDA support status

~PLEASE NOTE~

This post has been extensively updated based on further development work and feedback from users. Please check all the content again to obtain optimum performance with DVDFab.
    Last verified: 9 December 2014

The following information was supplied by DVDFab developers and the QA Team to clarify the situation regarding recent problems with nvidia drivers.

Background

Recent evolution of nvidia hardware (Kepler based devices) has also brought changes to the drivers that nvidia supplies. Unfortunately, nvidia has chosen with recent drivers not to support the CUDA video encoding function on their GPUs with CUDA capability below 3.0 (see this for a list) Nvidia drivers now support only their new NVENC technology, which much hardware does not support. This makes the situation apply to many DVDFab users. To regain some of the CUDA advantage, DVDFab now (v9.1.6.3 and later) supports CUDA for decoding and the new NVENC for encoding using the latest nvidia driver (340.52 as this is written) on devices with CUDA capability of 3.0 or higher. Whether this is the optimum solution for you depends on how you use DVDFab, as explained below.

Other Aspects

The instability issues with the 337.88 and 340.52 drivers have been overcome for DVDFab versions of 9.1.6.3 and later, so if your nvidia device has a CUDA capability of 3.0 or better (see list linked below), you can use these drivers now, but should choose between them carefully depending on usage pattern: for Full Disc with compression in Blu-ray Copy, you will get better performance in most cases using the 337.88 or earlier driver with CUDA decode and encode. For Main Movie compression or tasks using the Ripper or Converter modules, use the newer 340.52 driver and CUDA decode with NVENC encoding, which is now fully supported by DVDFab for these (3.0-5.0 CUDA cap) devices. It is a shortcoming in the driver itself (a weakness in handling the many small m2ts files common in Full Disc mode) not in DVDFab that is the basis for this recommendation.

Earlier nvidia Devices

What about the legacy (non-Kepler) devices that many of us still have? DVDFab has not forgotten. If your device has CUDA capability below 3.0, the 340.52 driver does not support encoding on your device and you must choose to use the new (340.52) driver with decoding only (will be slower) or the older (337.88 or prior) driver to continue using CUDA for decode and encode.

Alternatives/Workarounds

You may wish to consider using Intel QuickSync (IQS) if your CPU and motherboard chipset support it. See the link below for more information.

Summary of Recommendations
    • If you primarily use your GPU for compressing Full Disc BD content, use a pre-Kepler driver (337.88 or prior) to continue using CUDA for decoding and encoding.
      • DVDFab v9.1.6.3 or later and a CUDA 3.0 or higher rated GPU required.
    • If you primarily use your GPU for Main Movie or with the Ripper or Converter modules, install the latest (340.52) driver and use CUDA decoding and NVENC for encoding.
      • DVDFab v9.1.6.3 or later and CUDA 3.0 or higher rated GPU required.
    • If your GPU is rated below 3.0, you should not update to any of the Kepler drivers (340.52 or later) if you wish to continue using the GPU for encoding.
      • Consider using the GPU for only one task and using the Software setting for the other, especially if you have an i7 CPU and a GPU with a CUDA cap rating of 2.1 or below. Intel QuickSync (IQS) is another possible alternative if your PC supports it.

Thanks for the feedback provided so far.

Resources

Nvidia driver downloads
    Enable IQS in DVDFab
    Check CUDA GPU Capability

Recommendations are based on the use of nvidia GeForce GPUs, 3rd party OEM devices have not been tested.

Please post the DVDFab internal log and FabCheck log files if you have any problem when converting with CUDA.
    Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Thank you for the update signals. I'm using a GTX 660 and have rolled back to the 335.23 driver until this issue is resolved.

Comment

Thank you for update status. I did'nt have an integrated GPU in my Intel Core i7 2,4Ghz Notebook. Only the dedicated Geforce GTX780M.

Without support of Geforce Encoding, still, the Encoding time increase from 20-25 Minutes up to now to 40-60 Minutes. In the Same optical Quality.

I've rolled back to the Geforce 335.23 Drivers to use GPU Encoding, but many games needed newer Geforce Drivers.

I hope this issue will the fixed as soon as possible.

Comment

Thanks for this should include Wilson.Wang of the QA Team in Beijing, it was his idea, and a good one, this subject needed a detailed explanation. I hope it is all fixed soon as well, but it is complicated to some degree by the presence of a 3rd party (nvidia).

Don't overlook the option to use the 340.52 driver if you need it for gaming, you can use it for the decode part of video compression, which may still produce pretty good times if you have an i7 (and good fans) .
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I would like to know if Wilson Wang or any of the DVDFab team might be able to give us an estimate as to how long it will take to resolve this issue so that full Cuda functionality will work with the new NVIDIA drivers.

Comment

You have got to be kidding. "How long is a piece of string?" comes to mind.

It'll be ready when it's ready!!
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

It is ready now, please install v9.1.6.2. Beta and the 340.52 driver and post the results here, feedback is needed. Devices below CUDA capability 3.0 are not supported yet.

Comment

i installed dvdfab 9.1.6.2 beta and ripped a few dvds. It works very well !!!. Can someone Test it with Bluray Ripping ? Have no time, go to work. At this point, very goog work.Thanks very much.

Comment

DVDFab 9.1.6.1 gave me a few errors and made it crash everytime especially when ripping directly from disc + when CUDA was selected. Worked okay with Intel Quick Sync.

DVDFab 9.1.6.2 works perfectly well...and no issues replicated.

WELDONE DVDFAB TEAM. GREAT JOB!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far, I think a few more reports would be appreciated by the developers, especially if you experienced any problems.

Comment

Cuda a lot faster for me now with V9.1.6.2

With all setting to CUDA V9.1.6.2 is a lot faster for me now.
                      Great improvement from V9.1.6.1 on my system.
                      Good job team fab.
                      Windows 7 64bit ultimate
                      CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
                      RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
                      GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
                      SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
                      HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
                      PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

Full Disc Issue

Hi

When I select main movie it works fine but if I select full disc it starts off ok but then grinds to ha halt and I have to cancel.

I'll post the internal log below as it's too big to fit in one post.

22:00:56:314 info: main: The Fabcheck 1,0,4,2 - Sun Aug 17 23:00:56 2014

22:00:56:352 info: DetectAllVideoCardInfos: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 9.18.13.4052
                        22:00:56:352 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: Cards = 1, Enables = 1
                        22:00:56:354 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
                        22:00:56:398 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - 9.18.13.4052 - 3.0
                        22:00:56:489 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: device_count - 1 - cuda_api_version = 6050 -
                        22:00:56:489 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: bTCC - 0 - computeMode = 0 -
                        22:00:56:491 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: major = 3, minor = 0, clockRate = 1137000
                        22:00:56:493 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: deviceName - GeForce GTX 760 - benchmark divided by 10000 = 130982 -
                        22:00:56:495 info: DetectVideoCard_CUDA: bestCudaDetectInfo 1,0,130982,3,0,GeForce GTX 760
                        22:00:56:499 info: fab_check::check_cuda: cudaStatus = 0 , modeType = 120 , devCap = 1
                        22:00:56:501 info: fab_check::check_cuda: AcquireWriteBlock OK.
                        22:00:56:501 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: nProcessorSignature = 306a9
                        22:00:56:503 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: strCPUBrand = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
                        22:00:56:503 info: fab_check::check_intelcodec: modeType = 0 , b_isQuickSyncVideoIntelCpu = 1
                        22:00:56:505 info: main: end

Comment

Internal Log

I've attached the internal log and a screen print.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hourglass94 View Post
                            Hi

When I select main movie it works fine but if I select full disc it starts off ok but then grinds to ha halt and I have to cancel.

I'll post the internal log below as it's too big to fit in one post.

22:00:56:314 info: main: The Fabcheck 1,0,4,2 - Sun Aug 17 23:00:56 2014

22:00:56:352 info: DetectAllVideoCardInfos: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 9.18.13.4052
                            22:00:56:352 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: Cards = 1, Enables = 1
                            22:00:56:354 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
                            22:00:56:398 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - 9.18.13.4052 - 3.0
                            22:00:56:489 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: device_count - 1 - cuda_api_version = 6050 -
                            22:00:56:489 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: bTCC - 0 - computeMode = 0 -
                            22:00:56:491 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: major = 3, minor = 0, clockRate = 1137000
                            22:00:56:493 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: deviceName - GeForce GTX 760 - benchmark divided by 10000 = 130982 -
                            22:00:56:495 info: DetectVideoCard_CUDA: bestCudaDetectInfo 1,0,130982,3,0,GeForce GTX 760
                            22:00:56:499 info: fab_check::check_cuda: cudaStatus = 0 , modeType = 120 , devCap = 1
                            22:00:56:501 info: fab_check::check_cuda: AcquireWriteBlock OK.
                            22:00:56:501 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: nProcessorSignature = 306a9
                            22:00:56:503 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: strCPUBrand = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
                            22:00:56:503 info: fab_check::check_intelcodec: modeType = 0 , b_isQuickSyncVideoIntelCpu = 1
                            22:00:56:505 info: main: end
                            Hi,
                            DVDFab internal log file is also needed.

You can cut the current log file in notepad and then paste here.
                            Or attach the file directly by click Attach icon.

Wilson
                            Attached Files
                            Please post your logs the default location is:
                            For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                            For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                            If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Internal log

Hi

I tried to paste into my original post but I got a message to say it was too large. I noticed you could attach files so I attached a zip file with it and a screen shot and posted it below my original post. I've attached it again for reference.

Sorry for any confusion.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Hourglass94; 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM. Reason: adding attahment

Comment

Working...
                              X