Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this doesn't attack what may be problem in creating large iso file for this disc, but ...
    for this length of movie & required compress, i would never go to a single dvd5 ... i don't use DL myself, so i would have split into 2 dvd5's ... & burn with imgburn ... does this work any better than all this rererererecoding ? ... just curious ..... jak

Comment

Geesh, sorry to hear you're still at it!
      I have seen a few flicks display this sort of behavior when ripped, particularly when compression is applied.
      It seems the copy protection caused continuous looping when ripped and certain files were "inflated".
      I just parused the thread quickly...stuck at work.
      I see that you tried main movie. Does this flick have alternate endings/ multiple paths?
      The firewall at work won't let me click on the Amazon.com link, but I'm certain I don't have this one

As suggested, see what happens during playback from your hdd with a software player.

Originally posted by tli View Post
      No disrespect to DVDFab, and I'm a longtime user... but just for testing purposes, try running DVDShrink on the ripped movie that's stored on your hard drive currently, and see if you get the same result.
      Nothing remotely disrespectful in your post...
      I agree, a run through with shrink is a good idea.

Yeah, you may have to break down and pick up a +R DL...if you do, make certain it's a Verbatim, preferably MIS (made in Singapore).

Also recommend that you send the info files to Fengtao...he'll have a look for you
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

OoOo all sorts of good sugestions !

Signals:
        It will show the GOP structure and a graph of the video bitrate vs.time.
        That sounds fun, no doubt I will do it today..

Jakish:
        i don't use DL myself, so i would have split into 2 dvd5's
        Yea, duh, I guess I should have already done that.. The thing is, after 3 passes through DVDFab the incoming file size was only 5.6GB and STILL it only compressed it to 5.1GB !?! So I would bet that simply splitting it in 2 would STILL result in too big a size for a DVD5. Unless I could sorta clone split it, no compression. Never tried that, not sure I can do that.. I will look..

tli, yea i will also try another program..

One thing for sure, this has been interesting. I have gained from it, I now have ImgBurn Plus I get to go look at a MPEG stream..

I SWEAR its got to be something simple and stupid. It cant be this hard. I just dont know what.... It would be good if anyone else gets this movie to see if they can replicate the problem.. I would feel better

Comment

Well well well....

A run through DVD to Mobile to a fixed file size worked perfectly. I told it the target size was 4GB and it came out almost EXACTLY 4GB...

BUT... I produced a file nothing can play, hahahah... I did MP4, 4GB fixed, dual pass encoding, 256kbs audio and some resolution...

Every player, including Hyplayer, report a error and unrecognized file format..

Oops... But im gonna try again, this time with only a few chapters so it does not take 8 hours to compress..

BUT a different CODEC did seem to produce a fixed and correct file size output..

Comment

Use DVDShrink to Create ISO Only

Originally posted by Xymox View Post
            tli, yea i will also try another program..
            Please only use DVDShrink for compressing and creating a DVD-5 ISO file as a test. It is best to use DVDFab for ripping the movie and removing all its copy protection mechanisms, since DVDShrink is way outdated in this capacity as development has ceased many years back.

Originally posted by maineman View Post
            Nothing remotely disrespectful in your post...
            Thanks, Maineman. I wasn't sure if it was heresy to mention another program in DVDFab's home.

Comment

DVDFab has never failed me, well ok,,, maybe here it did,,,, BUT I think it has NOTHING to do with DVDFab... I think its really freaky DVD encoding...

Im a long time user of DVDFab and have been seriously happy the whole time.

So..... I can use DVD to Mobile and produce files using various CODECs and they come out fine... However I really could use some advice on which codec to use for just producing a very compatible MP4. One I can choose high resolutions, large fixed file sizes and things like 2 pass...

I want to know the best CODEC that is the most compatible with windows desktop applications that gives me the widest choices. Like I might want to make a good quality 640x480 but keep the bitrate down. Or a smaller resolution but higher quality file. Sound quality is also important to me.

There are so many choices its hard to decide..

Also should I go download some good codec's ? if so where ? and will DVDFab use them ? I assume so..

Sooooo..... I can compress the DVD with no issues at all do various sizes and formats using DVD to Mobile...

ALSO... I thought way back when on 5.xx I was a paid user and had DVD to mobile. On 6.x it appears I do not ??

Comment

Too many questions for an already long thread! Keep this one focused and start new ones in the right forums for the other questions. There is good advice all around and there is no charge for additional threads.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

more threads are free ?!?!?

well ...... ok......

But its kinda on topic, I need to know a good CODEC in order to compress this down to and test it hehehehe...

Comment

Well buring to a file via mobile seems to work perfectly.. With various CODEC's. This shows the copy protection removal is working fine it seems...

I have copied "main movie" onto 2 DVD5's each at 100% quality and there were no issues..

Good suggestion on breaking up the movie into 2 parts.

I do have a questions about ImgBurn being used with DVDFab but I will post that elsewhere..

I have reinstalled after completely removing all traces of DVDFab so I know im using a fresh install.. Im also using the current beta now too.. I want to try again and make sure I still have the issue.

Next im going to try 2 things.

1. Im going to chop down the initial movie by removing chapters until it just barely has to compress. Like 99% quality and see what happens.

2. Im going to examine the MPEG bitstream and try and see if anything stands out as weird..

Comment

I confirmed on another computer that the same problem with this disc exists.. So that eliminates the computer and the install of DVDFab..

I removed enough chapters doing a "main movie" to get to 99% quality..

It created a 4.7GB ISO... wow... interesting...

I tried doing just one less chapter so I got to 100% quality, no compression, and it was perfect. No problem..

Whatever bitstream is on that disc,,,, is mean and nasty... Just BARLEY compressing it causes havoc with output file size..

I made a folder version "Full Disc" with a DVD9 size and 100%.. so I got a clone version on my HD to play with now so I can put my original away...

Im going to see if I can look for issues with the bitstream off the DVD... But MPEG for DVD is a whole science.. So,,, I donno if I can figure anything out..

Does anyone have any suggestion of software to examine the bitstream directly from the DVD files ? I dont want to change the format in order to investigate the issue.

Well this is great fun... Very interesting.. I am learning lots of stuff. Splitting DVD's , ImgBurn and working a lot with DVD to Mobile files..

Comment

DVDShrink does it with out a problem

I do hate to report that...

Comment

Whoops,, wait a minute... No it didn't.... The dvd player wont play it....

Hmmm..........

Comment

Hmmm....... Some players play it, some dont.. My PS2 wont. My Toshiba DVD Player wont.. My hyper cheap Coby plays it.. As do all three of my computers...

WEIRD... I think DVDShrink did not do something correctly. I dont think the disc caused this issue..

Sooooo DVDShrink did not suffer from this issue. It had some other issue completely not related to the disc..

The compression of a whole disc to a DVD5 using DVDShrink came out better then I expected.. It looks -ok-..

Comment

Originally posted by Xymox View Post
                              Sooooo DVDShrink did not suffer from this issue. It had some other issue completely not related to the disc..
                              Weird indeed... since we're not here to debug DVDShrink, you might wait and see what FengTao can find from those debug files you sent him.

Comment

Yea, I cant think of any other things I can do to isolate the issue.. So now I will await someone far more knowledgeable then I on this weird issue..

Well,,, one thing for sure,, DVD Shrink isn't nearly as good as DVDFab.. I tried making a backup of 3 DVD's. All three did not play on my PS2 or Toshiba, but did play on other stuff. Right out the box it did not work correctly for me on a first time use. DVDFab has NEVER failed me. I dont count this disc as a failure, there is something REALLY weird with the disc. Besides I did back it up by simply splitting it into 2 DVD-5's. That was way better anyway, no compression for this stunning looking movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X