PC HW requirements for 4K/UHD and HDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC HW requirements for 4K/UHD and HDR?

I installed a MSI GTX 1050 card in my W10 PC to get HDR HW Acceleration but it is still shown as not available.
    Is this NVIDIA card supported for UHD with HDR or not. In the last case i must return it.

Bottom-line is there a list with PC HW/SW system requirements and an overview of supported HW? It must be well hidden as I searched for it quite some time.

My PC uses a ASUS Z170 gaming Pro motherboard with an i7 3.4 Ghz processor (no SGX) and 4 GByte memory.

For 4K/UHD HDR hardware acceleration at least in the DVDFab Copy/Ripper, a 1060 or higher unit is required. Checking on this for Player 5, but I suspect it is the same. It is posted elsewhere, I will post a link when I find it.

UPDATE: Here are the system requirements for Player 5, looks like the 1050 should work, could be a driver version issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-011 PLAYER5_GPU.png Views:	1 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	349536

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks! Will wait for the final answer. This before doing an request for return.

May I suggest to add the requirements to the main sales pages too as this will help potential customers on their decision.

Comment

It is actually on the website, but can't be linked since it is a java display item. Particularly if you plan to process this type of video with DVDFab in addition to just playing it back with Player 5, I believe a 1070 or 1080 might be a better choice. Here is some additional information:

Originally posted by FabWeb
        Detailed Requirements and Settings for HDR and UHD Playback

Hardware Environment
        Video cards that support HDR contents playback
        From Intel: IntelĀ® UHD Graphics 620 or above (Integrated in IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ Generation 8 and part of Generation 7 CPUs)
        From NVidia: GeForce GTX 900 series, GTX 1000 series or above
        From AMD: RX450 or above
        Display Port: HDMI2.0a or DP1.3
        Software Environment
        Drivers: upgrade the video card drivers to the latest
        How to check Windows information: Control Panel > System > About
        Required Settings
        OS Settings
        Enable HDR option: Control Panel > System > Display > HDR and advanced color
        Tip: this option is not available to Windows 10, with builds under 1705
        Play 5 Settings
        To play back 4K HDR contents, please enable the HDR Mode at Settings > Video > HDR Mode
        Choose Auto (recommended): if your hardware and display monitor support HDR output, then DVDFab Player 5 will output HDR image, otherwise, it will output SDR image.
        Choose HDR -> SDR: DVDFab Player 5 will output SDR image.
        Earlier Windows 10 builds
        Despite earlier Windows 10 builds (under 1705) do not have an HDR option, users still can get HDR support via NVidia video cards, in that case, please also upgrade to the latest NVidia drivers.
        UHD Playback
        To play back 4K UHD videos, your GPU is required to be capable of H.265 (HEVC) and UHD (4K) hardware decoding. The known GPUs capable of doing this include:
        From NVidia: Maxwell GM206 series including GeForce GTX 750 SE, GTX 950, GTX 960 and above, all the Pascal series;
        From Intel: 5th generation Intel Core Processors with HD graphics 5500, HD graphics 6000, Iris graphics 6100 and above;
        From AMD: GCN 4th generation Polaris Discrete GPU RX 480 / RX 470 / RX 460 and above
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the answer, but it leads to the next question: The GTX 1050 is definitely a Pascal GTX1000 series card, but Player 5 signals HDR as not supported.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Player 5 Hardware.PNG
Views:	1253
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	349541

See attachment when displayed on the PC screen.. When done on the NVIDIA attached screen only VC-1 is additionally supported.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver version.PNG
Views:	915
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	349543
            See attached display for the driver. No newer version found, it is also very recent just 2 weeks old.

Comment

I can only suspect that perhaps Player needs an update for that brand new driver. Unfortunately, the development staff is off for the Chinese New Year holiday, to return later this month. If I can reach someone I will check on this.

Comment

hi,
                please check the hdmi is good and connect to gtx1050. and if possible please try update win 10 OS to new version. then give a try.
                and pleased attach your log file. thanks
                Please post your logs the default location is:
                For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

No HDR, but my UHD monitor is not HDR-capable.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Connected to the UHD OLED TV, works as expected.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am waiting for a brand-new HQ 5m long HDMI capable supporting HDMI 2.0a+ as it states (should arrive soon). Will use it to connect to my OLED TV with HDR and redo the test.

Comment

I am getting now the same results as gorba8.9 which leads me to the following conclusions:
                        - The GTX 1050 card is supported and may be taken as the minimum GTX 1000 card level for HDR.
                        - In contrary to the other Hardware tests HDR can only validated if also a HDR capable Monitor/TV is attached during that test. I recommend changing the text just above the "Analyse Hardware" button including this.
                        - There are several display problems using my TV set at 4K (and 1080p) using the menu and tests (hidden text, text not fitting window, pop-up hidden in background) etc. None are a problem on my VGA screen connected to the motherboard build-in Intel Graphics.

My test period apparently ended without even being able to test anything in real practice:
                        - Finding out I needed an extra graphics card and which Graphics card to buy.
                        - When the MSI GTX 1050 arrived it appeared to need a not included PSI power-cable despite being advertised as not being needed. Got that one next.
                        - The dialog first with the supplier of the Graphics Card not doing what it should and next here on the forum.
                        - Needed to buy a new HDMI 2.0a bandwidth capable cable next to hook it up to my TV over a 5 m distance.
                        Now I seem to have a working test environment but to software to test with anymore.

Comment

Strange the (trial period) license moved again to 05-03-2018 which should be fine.
                          Will report additional findings and problems in dedicated topics.

I am still not convinced that the HDR HW acceleration in fact also works during actual playback. The first UHD/HDR movies I tried all stutter in an unwatchable way. Did neither see the HDR pop-up on my TV as it should. Dialog about that is still on-topic I believe. Will do some more testing and add the log file next.
                          Last edited by Nice Monkey; 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Tested a number of UHD BD's with and without HDR. Only the ones without HDR do play the others with HDR (almost all) don't. When playing a UHD BD without HDR the CPU will run peak at 20%. Also tried one UHD MKV with HDR which gave the same result (not accelerated).
                            So my conclusion HW acceleration for HDR does not kick in despite being reported by the test as supported. All sources tried are original UHD/4K BD 1:1 copies with menus and extras. I do play exclusively from HDD not physical discs (Folders or ISO).

Upgrading W10 (already asked to do) is not that easy as all my efforts result in a revert back once installed. It simply won't start, Also tried using "Windows Update Assistant" for the upgrade; still no luck. Many people have these problems too. I really don't understand why Microsoft does not fix this?

Comment

You are writing a lot, and you seem to have a lot of problems, with your hardware and your software.

Comment

Working...
                              X