This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.2.1.8 - Cannot open a second DVD

DVDFab 6.2.1.8 and the previous version (6.2.0.5) both exhibited this same problem - the software fails to open a second DVD.

Steps to re-create:-
    - Start DVDFab and select an option in DVD-DVD, say 'Main Movie'.
    - Insert a DVD to be ripped.
    - 'Open DVD Source' appears and DVDFab will identify the DVD. Its volume name will appear in the 'Source' drop-down at the top, and the various chapters will be listed in DVD-DVD 'Main Movie'.
    - Optionally start the rip process and wait for it to complete. Note that this issue arises regardless of whether you actually rip or not.
    - Eject the DVD.
    - Insert a different DVD.
    - 'Open DVD Source' appears again and DVDFab will start to identify the DVD. However, it appears to stop part way through this process. The 'Open DVD Source' message disappears and the volume will NOT be listed in the 'Source' drop-down at the top, which instead will say 'Please insert DVD disc or choose DVD folder/image file'. This signifies DVDFab believes there is no disc in the DVD drive.

Note that you do not need to start the rip process of the first DVD for this problem to arise - even just changing discs without ripping is enough. If you do rip the first disc, the rip process completes fine. Obviously you can't rip the second disc because DVDFab fails to identify it.

At the moment, this means that to rip two or more DVDs, you must close DVDFab between each disc.

Interestingly, once you've inserted the second DVD and DVDFab has failed to identify it, if you go into Settings -> Info, the second DVD's volume is displayed in the 'Source' drop-down at the top, but the text underneath it says: "Info for drive [E:\] (DVDFab 6.2.1.8) Drive region: 2 Disc is not opened."

It doesn't matter which discs I try - the problem exists on all.

I have an old copy of DVDFab 5.2.5.0 that once installed on the same machine identifies multiple discs OK. This appears to be a problem introduced with 6.2.0.5.

For reference, I'm using XP, Pioneer DVR-115D internal, Path Player: always enabled, IO Mode: Auto.

I've attached various log files, plus the DISC.BIN created once it's failed to recognise the second disc.
    Attached Files

I have actually noticed this as well on my end.

Mine experience is that most of the time it will load a SECOND one, but as you said the Source field does NOT update. The last DVD Label stays in the Source field/dropdown, but the "Volume Label" field however DOES update and shows the correct Label identifier that is on the 2nd DVD I inserted. I hit Start and the DVD extracts ot the folder that was in the "Volume Label" field, unless I edit the name.

It's when I do a third for fourth DVD in a row that I get 'Please insert DVD disc or choose DVD folder/image file'. At that point I just kill the app (X, top right) and re-start it and all is well. I've been meaning to post this, I just thought it was on my end, read further.

I thought is might have been associated to my virtual ROM tool, "CloneDrive" or another beta DVDFab tool I've been testing . I have been meaning to remove it and put DAEMON back on, just haven't gotten around to it. I saw where and I think it was feng that pointed out in one of the release notes, stating that CloneDrive does not play well with Blu-Ray. So I thought is might be related, not sure, could be the code in DVDFab ? ?

Regards,
    Last edited by AlienX69; 01-17-2010, 04:16 PM.
    AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

I've had this problem, for me it was down to another little tray utility causing conflict. Sure you got no other CD utilitys running in the background?

Comment

Monty has a good point. You might also try putting DVDFab in either SPTI or ASPI I/O mode instead of Auto. Auto defaults to SPTI on most systems, so try ASPI first. Please post your results.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Monty68 View Post
          Sure you got no other CD utilitys running in the background?
          Not in my case, I disabled the beta test tool, only thing left is the "CloneDrive"

Originally posted by signals View Post
          Monty has a good point. You might also try putting DVDFab in either SPTI or ASPI I/O mode instead of Auto. Auto defaults to SPTI on most systems, so try ASPI first. Please post your results.
          I will try that for awhile and see if it makes a difference, THX ! So, I take it you have not experienced this ?
          Last edited by AlienX69; 01-17-2010, 05:13 PM.
          AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

I guess my question would be .... why does the "Volume Label" field update and the "Source" field/dropdown does NOT ? It's finding the DVD, just that the Source does not update.

I'm running a couple of extracts now to see what happens with it set to SPTI instead of auto !!
            AX

Comment

Changing to SPTI made no difference, see attached:

Departures was the first extraction, then I inserted "THE_SAFETY_OF_OBJECTS". As you can see the "Volume Label field updated but the "Source" field stayed the same.

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers,
              Attached Files
              AX

Comment

Originally posted by AlienX69 View Post
                Not in my case, I disabled the beta test tool, only thing left is the "CloneDrive"

I will try that for awhile and see if it makes a difference, THX ! So, I take it you have not experienced this ?

From your post #7:

"Changing to SPTI made no difference, see attached:"

From Signals post #4:

"Auto defaults to SPTI on most systems, so try ASPI first."

Did you try what Signals suggested?

DC

Comment

Hey DC (someone in disguise .. )

When I put it on ASPI, all I get is the 'Please insert DVD disc or choose DVD folder/image file'. DVDFab did not find the disc but Win XP (Explorer) does.

PS: Sorry , I misread sigs initial post, my dyslexia kicking in !!

Side Note: As what iwords stated, I've only had this problem with the past few releases. It did not always do this. The only thing I can remember changing was removig DAEMON and installing CloneDrive (a recommend by an ole friend from ImgBurn)
                  Last edited by AlienX69; 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM.
                  AX

Comment

Appreciate the replies, here are my findings so far...

Originally posted by Monty68 View Post
                    Sure you got no other CD utilitys running in the background?
                    I have no other utilities installed, or running.

Originally posted by signals View Post
                    If I change to ASPI, DVDFab fails to open any DVD, whether it's the first, second or whatever.

If I change to SPTI, DVDFab recognises the first and second discs, but won't open the third or any subsequent discs.

Comment

Originally posted by iwords View Post
                      If I change to SPTI, DVDFab recognises the first and second discs, but won't open the third or any subsequent discs.
                      Same thing on my side of the fence !!! I've been just restarting DVDFab.

I just joined in to let you know your not alone ..... and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
                      AX

Comment

Originally posted by AlienX69 View Post
                        Hey DC (someone in disguise .. )

When I put it on ASPI, all I get is the 'Please insert DVD disc or choose DVD folder/image file'. DVDFab did not find the disc but Win XP (Explorer) does.

PS: Sorry , I misread sigs initial post, my dyslexia kicking in !!

Side Note: As what iwords stated, I've only had this problem with the past few releases. It did not always do this. The only thing I can remember changing was removig DAEMON and installing CloneDrive (a recommend by an ole friend from ImgBurn)

Thank you for that response - I would've tried myself, but I'm in the middle of a move, and all my DVDs are packed and I can't get at them.

When both you and iwords are trying this in SPTI mode (either for real, or as a test), are you allowing the program to exit the subroutine that it's in for the first disc, (you can tell if the 'finished' sign shows up at the bottom).

I haven't experienced your issue yet, as I wait for the program to exit processing the first disc (usually forcing it by hitting 'cancel'), then hit 'Finished' (after cancellation confirmed), and the next DVD is no problem.

I'm not sure this is the same thing you are describing, but it's my best guess...

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
                          When both you and iwords are trying this in SPTI mode (either for real, or as a test), are you allowing the program to exit the subroutine that it's in for the first disc, (you can tell if the 'finished' sign shows up at the bottom).

I haven't experienced your issue yet, as I wait for the program to exit processing the first disc (usually forcing it by hitting 'cancel'), then hit 'Finished' (after cancellation confirmed), and the next DVD is no problem.
                          I normally let it get to Finish stage (normal extract process)

Now what I have tried to see if it made a difference:

1. While still on the form where it still has the "Finish" button, I will insert the next disc, then hit the Finish button. DVDFab scans the new disc, update the Label ID field, but not the Source field

2. Also tried clicking the Finish button first so that DVDF goes back to the main Start form, then insert the 2nd DVD, get the same results

Only once did I hit Cancel for the test in Post # 7, then the Finish button appears, inserted 2nd disc, click finish the Label ID field updates, but not the Source field as shown in the attachment in Post #7
                          Last edited by AlienX69; 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM.
                          AX

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
                            If I start the rip process, yes, I always let it finish, close the dialog box that pops up, and click Finish.

However, you don't even need to start a routine to get it to fail, i.e. run DVDFab, insert a disc, let it open the disc so that it appears in the 'Source' drop down, BUT DON'T START ANYTHING. Then take the disc out, and put another one in - the new disc won't be opened.

Comment

Originally posted by iwords View Post
                              However, you don't even need to start a routine to get it to fail, i.e. run DVDFab, insert a disc, let it open the disc so that it appears in the 'Source' drop down, BUT DON'T START ANYTHING. Then take the disc out, and put another one in - the new disc won't be opened.
                              I never tried that, your right, same thing here. After I remove the 1st disc, insert the 2nd, scan dialog pops up scans, when it goes away, I'm left with "Please insert ......" I click the drop-down (Source), still nothing, have to restart DVDFab. EDIT: But the Explorer window (XP) does see the 2nd disc.

Glad you started this thread, I've been meaning to do it !!

So you don't have a virtual ROM tool such as DAEMON for CloneDrive install on your puter. That was the only thing I could think of that was causing my issue or internal code ? ?
                              Last edited by AlienX69; 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM.
                              AX

Comment

Working...
                              X